Post-game Recap: Giants @ Rockies — September 16, 2011
I haven’t done one of these in awhile, but this game was so odd, it felt like I had to.
Madison Bumgarner’s final line: 7IP, 6H, 1R, 0ER, 1BB, 3K. He reduces his ERA to 3.21, and he is now finally a .500 pitcher for the season (12-12). I should also add that he went on the offensive and went 2-for-4 with 2RBI. Anything else I say about Bumgarner would be redundant (see this post from earlier today). He is incredible.
This game was incredibly interesting. For now, let’s summarize the offense through bullet-points…
- Brandon Belt earns another first. First time he goes back-to-back games with a homer, as he hit a two-run blast in the 4th inning.
- Cody Ross adds on with a solo dinger of his own in the 5th.
- Madison Bumgarner contributes to his own cause by hitting a two-run double in the 6th. That ball was so close to being out; and if it was I would have needed a change of shorts. Jizz everywhere.
- Ross brings home Bumgarner in that inning on what would have been a double, but the injury bug bites another one as he suffers a right hamstring strain after passing first base.
- Brandon Crawford singles home Justin Christian.
- Finally, Chris Stewart hits a two-run blast for his second MLB home run in the 7th.
The Giants are now 10-5 in the post-Rowand+Tejada era. In their six-game win streak, four of those games they’ve scored 8+ runs. Unbelievable.
But the weirdness doesn’t end there. Check out this defense in the bottom of the 7th. Outfield - Torres, Christian, Ford; Infield - Belt, Burriss, Crawford, Sandoval; Battery - Bumgarner, Stewart… NEW GUYS. YOUTH. OUT OF ALL OF THEM, ONLY CHRISTIAN AND TORRES ARE OVER 30.
IT DOESN’T END THERE EITHER. Conner Gillaspie pinch hits. Waldis Joaquin pitches in the 8th. MORE NEW GUYS. ALL THE ROOKIES.
THE WEIRDNESS STILL DOESN’T END THERE. Barry Zito finally makes his appearance after his injury as he pitches and shuts the door in the 9th.
This game was so weirdly entertaining. Can’t really comprehend much of it.